There are many ways that servers can be configured... whether they be a standalone server, or part of a virtualized environment. This article describes what could be seen as an "optimal server".
Our database server software platform - FileMaker Server - has the following recommended technical speicifications:
A dedicated computer is recommended for FileMaker Server.
Minimum RequirementsRecommended Requirements
RAM: 8 GB
Hard Drive: 80 GB or more, depending on file size
Given the platform specifications, and our experience, we suggest the following be used to spec a new server.
- Windows Operating Server 2016 Standard
- 1 or 2 U Rack mounted server (such as the Dell PowerEdge R330)
- Chassis that can handle up to 8 2.5" Hot Plug Hard Drives
- Intel® Xeon® 3.0 GHz processor
- 16 GB of RAM
- RAID 1 controller (typically built-in/integrated).
- 2 - 200 GB SDD Drives, RAID 1, to be used for Boot Drive (C: Drive)
- 2 - 200 GB SSD Drives, Mixed Use, RAID 1, to be used for Live Database (D: Drive, for holding the live databases.)
- 1 - 2 TB 7.2K Hard Drive (E: Drive, to be used for holding database backups).
- Dual Ethernet Port
- Dual, Hot-Plug Redundant power supply
- Hardware support: Mission Critical 4 Hour On-Site Service.
As of February, 2018, a Dell Server configured similar to the above costs approximate $4500. Your IT Staff will want to review our suggestions with their general knowledge and purchase the server that they feel has the appropriate specifications.
It is also possible to utilize FileMaker Server on the Macintosh platform, as well as a Cloud deployment. If interested, please contact SpecVet Support for additional discussions.
Whether on the Mac or Windows platform, we'd also recommend utilizing a fast Flash Drive - to be used for a Daily Backup that remains on-premise but can easily be moved to additional hardware. Furthermore, a backup service such as JungleDisk should be utilized to provide for off-site backup.